She warmed us up by asking a variety of questions--Is this your first time here? Are you a writer? An illustrator? Both? Are you a man? (These events are known for being packed with women--just wait till you stand in a bathroom line for the first time.)
If you were here in this room right now, you might want earplugs. People are introducing themselves to each other and the noise is impressive!
A few tips from Jolie:
- If you swap business cards, write a reminder on the back so you can connect the card to the person.
Chelsea Mooser of the SCBWI
- If you're able to be yourself, then you have no competition. So don't feel as though you're in a competition with the people next to you. The SCBWI is a supportive tribe (with more than 22,000 members worldwide).
- Passion, patience, and perseverance will see you through
- If there's a book you want to buy, get it before the speaker does a keynote. Books do sell out.
- With editors and agents, be respectful and interested in them as people (and don't slide manuscripts under the bathroom stall or ask to pitch). Good conversation topics are things the editors and agents said in their sessions, and the books they've worked on.
Jolie has walked all of us through the many events planned throughout the conference: the published attendee book sale, manuscript and portfolio consultations, the poolside dance party, the Golden Kite luncheon and more. (She also revealed that Judy Blume is here. THE Judy Blume.)
Jolie Stekly on Twitter
Jolie's Monday morning writing prompts blog
Judy Blume on Twitter
Jolie is the best! And Judy frickin' BLUME, what a wonderful weekend it's going to be.ReplyDelete
Ah, how I wish I was attending this year. I'll be following all the blogs, though.ReplyDelete
Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from HaitiReplyDelete
I have made a blog at blogger.com Since i have added a google adsense in the blog but haven't made a penny with this. I need your help and support to help me make some money to PAY MY Tuition Fees.
What you have to do is follow these simple steps
1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
4. click ONE of the ads that appeals to you from AdChoices and visit there.
5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
and that's it.
Note:Visit my blog from Google.com. Only ONE click is asked and nothing else
I will be very grateful to you.