Saturday, August 5, 2023

Illustrated Notes: An Interview with Graphic Novel Creator Stan Yan

 

Those of you who attended Jolie Stekly's Orientation session will have seen the invitation to tweet illustration conference notes. Thanks to those who have been posting and tagging me; I'll be posting a selection later today. 

From the Art Directors' Panel.

I did want to highlight Stan Yan in particular, because of all the amazing illustrated notes he's been posting on his Twitter feed! Here are just a few:


From the Editors & Agents Panel.


Stan Yan
is an author/illustrator/graphic novelist based in Denver, co-ra for the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the SCBWI, and professor of kidlit art at the Cuddlefish Academy (http://cuddlefishacademy.com) and sequential art at the Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design. Stan has also been posting such fun illustrated notes during the conference! You can find out more about Stan and his work at StanYan.me.


Q. What are some highlights from the conference for you so far?

Lisa Yee’s opening keynote was fantastic for me, but I’m biased, since she named the antagonist (well in the first book) of Millicent Min after me (read it and you’ll know my real full first name).

Q. What are you working on now?

I’m currently working on a scary late MG graphic novel, THE MANY MISFORTUNES OF EUGENIA WANG. Please put it on your to-read list on Goodreads!


Q. How do you create your awesome illustrated notes?

I use Procreate on an iPad Pro.

Thanks, Stan!

---

Register for the SCBWI Summer Conference at https://www.scbwi.org/events/summer-conference-2023. Replays of the conferences will be available until September 10th, 2023.

Also be sure to check out the Faculty Conference Bookshop and the Portfolio Showcase!


No comments:

Post a Comment