Newbery winning author Kwame Alexander answered business questions along with his agent Arielle Eckstut.
Some generated tips
- Build relationships with your local independent bookstore even before you sell a book.
- Have a plan that has reach.
- Know what you don't know and surround yourself with people who know.
- When you are searching for an agent, you need to identify all that you want in an agent.
- You've got to make the hard decisions that are going to impact your career positively.
- With his books, Kwame never mentions poetry.
- Consider putting some money aside from an advance for promotion or travel to help promote your book.
- Make connections with librarians and booksellers.
- Marketing energy should all depend on your book, and you know your book better than anyone else.
- Figure out a desired mechanism to engage with your audience when presenting your book. Do it in a way that is you.
- To get love, you have to give love. To give love you have to have it.
- If you don't have the passion driving you, it makes the challenges harder to sustain.