Monday, January 23, 2023

The Power of Community: Conference Socials and MORE! #scbwiNY23

Hi, I’m Justin and I am joining the SCBWI Team Blog this year, blogging my way through the SCBWI 2023 Winter Conference. A professional dancer and freelance illustrator, I joined SCBWI back in 2020. 

When the pandemic hit and the world stopped, I instead dove into the worlds on my bookshelves. Back at square one, with no creative outlet to perform and dance, I started to read more, draw more and create with more fire than I have in years. With no legroom (I live in New York) to “kick, ball, change”, I rekindled my love with my writing and artwork. 


SCBWI came into my orbit by the recommendation of a good friend, and I found my world open up to amazing new possibilities. I was blown away by the organization. I loved the digital conference and the abundance of resources it provided. There were amazing keynote speakers, awesome panels, and insightful discussions. As a new member, I was definitely intrigued but a bit overwhelmed. But what really stuck with me, and helped me stay grounded was the connections I was able to make along the way.


On one of the first nights, there was an online social that introduced me to so many brilliant people that I am still in touch with today. And being stuck in the house, it was such a gift to have such a colorful community almost materialize before me like magic. Community is vital to the artists’ spirit and to be surrounded by like-minded people who care and inspire you is truly invaluable. 


That is what the conference social events did for me. 


During the virtual conferences, SCBWI did a wonderful job at making sure we were able to connect, whether through Zoom or social media-hosted events. And now, with the opportunity to mix and mingle in person, I look forward to creating even deeper connections with new and old friends.  


On Saturday, February 11th from 7:30-9pm, there will be socials geared to many different communities—LGTBQIA2S+, Equity & Inclusion, GenNext, New Members & First-Time Attendee, Illustrators. Come join in on the fun! I’ll be there, doing a “kick, ball, change” of joy!


Or even come and check out some artwork at the Portfolio Showcase on Friday, February 10th from 8pm-9pm in the Grand Ballroom Foyer! 


Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there! Jump in, make some new friends and colleagues, network, and CONNECT! 


If you haven’t registered, and you’d like to join, register HERE! There will be the NY Conference on February 10th-12th and the virtual conference on February 25th


Stay connected with this AWESOME community, with #scbwiNY23 on Twitter @scbwi & Instagram @scbwi



P:S: Regional chapter events are another great way to stay connected! Monday nights on Discord, my regional chapter comes together and writes! 


Check out your regional chapter and see how you can continue to build up your community—YOUR ECOSYSTEM! 


Regional Chapter News https://www.scbwi.org/regional-chapters-new/


Regional Virtual Events: https://www.scbwi.org/regional-virtual-events/

No comments:

Post a Comment