Seven Things You Need to Know About Writing YA
1. Do read a lot, but don’t only read YA.
2. Do get a social media presence and network with other writers, but don’t spend so much time tweeting that you forget to write your novel.
3. Do get to know your characters—like, really well—don’t forget the difference between Wants and Needs.
4. Do write in the first person if a singular voice comes to you, but don’t force it.
5. Do make maps for your plot and structure, but don’t be afraid to stray once in a while.
6. Do join a supportive critique group, and don’t be scared of a little tough love.
7. Do persevere when the going gets tough, but don’t be afraid to walk away if a project just isn’t coming together.