You've got to love an author who starts her session with: So everyone’s screwed for time and not feeling very creative, huh? I feel your pain.
Laurie notes: I’m an author because of SCBWI. I’m an author because the authors I listened to at SCBWI told me the truth and I’m a grown up. (She could handle it.)
On September 7, 1992 she had her moment when she took her child to the bus stop. On that day, instead of going to the Pancake House, she went and wrote in her journal, “I give myself 5 years to get published.” Notes she should have given herself ten years. (Although it did take her only 4 years.)
The Myths that Hurt Us
1. If you get published you'll be free from financial pressure.
2. Being published will solve all the painful personal conflicts in your life.
3. Full time authors who make a living writing their books belong to a club run by Jon Sciezska.
Attitudes You Want to Grow in Your Soul
- 24 hours in a day is more than enough.
- The universe wants you to be creative.
- Change equals discomfort. Discomfort won't kill you.
- You have the intelligence to reclaim your lost time, but are you brave enough?
- You have more control over how you spend your precious time and energy than you care to admit.