A few hot/popular topics in nonfiction:
- ocean life
- the weather
- space/solar system
- war (WWII, Civil War--for older readers)
Brenda acquired projects through several avenues:
- published authors and illustrators
- ideas generated in-house farmed out as work-for-hire
Important considerations when thinking of proposing a non-fiction project:
- are there other things like it out there?
- how could you book be different from the competition?
- can it be tied to the cirriculum?
- is the author an expert, or what credentials/ties do you bring to the table?
- is it relevants or topical?
- what's your age range?
- how will the book be organized?
- what special featurescould be included?
- where could your book be marketed?