Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sara Zarr Keynote

Sara Zarr delivers the keynote speech to kick off the final day of the 2011 SCBWI Annual Winter Conference.

Sara is the acclaimed author of three novels for young adults: STORY OF A GIRL (National Book Award Finalist), SWEETHEARTS (Cybil Award Finalist), and ONCE WAS LOST (a Kirkus Best Book of 2009). Her fourth book will be out in late 2011. She's also written for IMAGE JOURNAL, Hunger Mountain Online, and RESPONSE MAGAZINE, as well as for several anthologies. (If you need a reading recommendation, ask Sara--she recently read over 200 books as a judge for the National Book Awards.)

Click here to read a pre-conference interview with Sara.

Sara came the the SCBWI conference as an attendee in 2001, at which time she had been pursuing writing for five years and was becoming frustrated. She came back in 2005 and she was really getting discouraged that things weren't happening in her career.

"They say write the book you want to read. I'm going to give the speech that I need to hear," Sara told us. "I speak to you as a colleague, comrade and friend."

The time between when you're no longer a beginner but have yet to break into the business is probably the hardest in your career, she says. Your greatest creation is your creative life. It's all in your hands. Rejection can't take it away; reviews can't take it away. The life you create for yourself as an artist, may be the only thing that's really yours, she continues. Create a life you can center yourself in calmly as you wait for you work to grow.

Here are a few some of the characters tics of a fulfilling creative life that Sara shared with us...

It's sustainable. Celebrate career milestones, but remember that they aren't the point. What's important is the love of the work. "Most creative I know don't have a retirement plan."

It invites company. Most creatives are introverts. Seek mentoring and be a mentor. Other creatives are the only ones who understands the joys and struggles of the creative life. There's never a point where you have nothing else to learn. But at the same time, don't consider hundreds of people on Twitter who you've never meant as your inner circle of friends.

It knows when to send company away. Ultimately this is about you. When it comes to getting your work done, no one can do that but you. There's power and importance to privacy. Think before sharing, name dropping. Know when to turn off Google alerts and GoodReads. "We can't let all of these voices and opinions be present in our creative moment."

It gives back. It give back to you and to others. As you're engaged with you work and your world you'll be a better spouse, friends, sibling. You'll be more self-actualized.




13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Sara Zarr! I'm exactly nine years into my career, as you were in 2005, and have yet to get a book published. It's very reassuring to know I'm not alone, that this really is the hardest and most frustrating part, and that there may be success around the corner. This is exactly what I needed to hear right now, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful to be able to read about the conference...feeling a little more connected and a little less sad that I'm not there. Thanks for sharing the reality of discouragement. I had one book published in 2008, and I experience the ups and downs of the publishing world as I continue to submit. But we must hang in there and hang on to our craft. This blog is great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this talk. This is definitely the hardest stage to be in, and it's also the group that gets addressed the least. (Most workshops/conferences/organizations/books address the beginner--but what to do AFTER that? And how to grow and not get discouraged?) Thanks so much for talking about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Heavens for the SCBWI blog! I missed the start of Sara Zarr's speech, but you guys filled me in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't Sara's keynote amazing? I so identified with everything she said. Toby - I tried to take copious notes and blogged as thoroughly as I could given my slow typing - it's on my blog, Notes from the Slushpile

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very wise words. And count me among the people who would like to be able to read a transcript of Sara Zarr's entire speech.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Sara's keynote speech, she share the real everyday life of and artist who knows and love herself. I am going to read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara your words were moving I was a bit choked up after you spoke
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have liked to attend the conference this year (the last one I attended was back in 2008) just to hear Sara talk. As an aspiring novelist who is in the midst of my fifth re-write, I am in awe of Sara's talent as a writer. Now I am in awe of her ability to verbalize so well, the struggles and challenges we face as writers/artists. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara is amazing. Her talk was as good as her books. I, too, wish we could have a transcript, but that would, probably, be asking too much. Perhaps she could expand it a bit into a book for writers. For me, it was the highlight of an amazing conference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Sara. It's good to know I'm not alone on this roller coaster journey. Great advice on one of those days when I really need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. can't figure out where to contact blog / webmaster: wnated to request you change the dreadful / painful distracting migrane inducing background to something simple. please. this blog is a wonderful resource! Be kind to your audience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "...The time between when you're no longer a beginner but have yet to break into the business is probably the hardest in your career.."

    Thank you Sara. These words are a gift, at a time when I needed to hear them/read them!

    ReplyDelete