Saturday, August 8, 2009

ARI LEWIN: "How An Editor at Disney/Hyperion Evaluates and Acquires," Pt. 1


ARI LEWIN: "How An Editor at Disney/Hyperion Evaluates and Acquires," Pt. 1




Some highlights from Disney/Hyperion Senior Ed. ARI LEWIN'S lecture (part 1)


-- They accept electronic submissions because of recycling/environment (Disney ordered Sony Readers for the editors)


-- Does a lot of traditional editor stuff - network, schmooze with editors, reads their client submissions on the subway and at home


-- "I don't read the cover letters the agents send me. I want to see the WRITING. The pitch can be awesome but the writing or story might not be. I trust the writing more than the pitch."


-- "What I'm looking for: I don't know any editor who would really say 'I'm looking for fantasy only.' We all want the same thing - good, compelling, engaging stories and they can come from unexpected genres you've never worked for. So oftentimes you know it when you see it."


-- "My No. 1 thing is VOICE. I'm looking for a voice that's fresh and original and believeable. I want the character to feel real and not like anyone else I've read before. It can't be generic."


-- No stereotypes wanted in voice and characteristics of the character. Dialogue should be realistic "If your two teen girls sound alike, I sort of sniff that out." 


-- Recommends E. Lockhart's "The Boyfriend List" as an example of realistic girl teen dialogue.


Stay tuned for Part 2!


Posted by Paula Yoo

No comments:

Post a Comment