Friday, August 7, 2009

Krista Marino-Establishing your YA voice

Fabulous editor Krista Marino (Delacorte) is giving a super in-depth workshop on how to establish your YA voice. After 5 minutes of listening, I thought, "Wow. I still have a ton to learn!"

This workshop required preregistration and it's obvious that Krista worked very closely with these writers and will do so over the next four days. I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for some serious editorial advice.

Some of her great points were focusing on finding your authorial voice. If you read a Meg Cabot or Stephen King book, you know the author without having to look. How do they do that? She offers a handout with several elements that are key to establishing your voice.

I wish I had that handout!!!

But she did say that as adults writing for teens we should try to recapture our childlike outlook. Our perspective changes as we experience things, so it's important to be able to identify with that unaffected self.

All in all, I wish I'D PREREGISTERED! She sounded brilliant! Next year, I'm so in! Hope you wil be too!

Posted by Suzanne Young

No comments:

Post a Comment